Imagine your journey
Shape your career, build connections, and make a real impact at Velocity.
Velocity provides leadership opportunities for the student volunteers who run the programme. Many industries recognise committee members as some of the University’s most driven and high-achieving talent. Every year, around 30 people become a part of Velocity Leadership Team – we grow these students into world leaders that solve problems, take initiatives, and create values. We’ve been doing this for 20 years, making a positive impact on Auckland, Aotearoa, and the world.
Students help design the team, so you can keep us contemporary. No matter your expertise, faculty, or background, we want you to get involved.
Applications for 2024 have closed.
What are our values?
A Sense of Belonging
Velocity is a very close-knit community.
This value will be fostered through one-on-one check ins with the team, team social events and dinners, being actively present at Velocity events. Ensuring everyone at Velocity feels like they’re at home.
In feeling connected with Velocity, we celebrate our individual and diverse excellence.
Manaakitanga involves being hospitable to others and supporting each member in our committee.
We welcome, encourage, help, share and provide everyone with the best resources, opportunities and information to help support them to be a strong member of the entrepreneurial community.
The team works best when we all know what we’re contributing to or working towards.
The Velocity team wil work together to have an awareness of the Velocity programme, innovation, and what the entrepreneurial community means for individuals, the University and New Zealand.
We work as a unit, all working together to achieve a common goal.
Whether it be a challenge, an event or a project, everyone in the committee works collectively to achieve that goal, no team is left on their own, we are all united together.
We can come together with our differences on equal footing – everyone has a voice.
Find your fit
Our committee is organised into various teams, each focused on a specific component of Velocity, but united by a common purpose. Each team has a lead (or two), who together with the CEO and COO, are responsible for the delivery of a great Velocity programme.
Where could you belong?
- Challenges — helping people launch their ideas through stalls, workshops, and competitions.
- Events — taking care of the logistics, planning, and budgets of our events.
- Marketing — crafting creative campaigns to promote Velocity and its brand.
- Outreach — building relationships with faculties, clubs, and communities to engage diverse audiences who often aren’t aware of I&E.
What’s your talent?
We’re looking for a wide range of skills and perspectives in our team. You’ll get to make make the most of your strengths, and learn from your fellow committee members. Tell us what your talent is!
We’re here to support you
People are at the centre of all we do at Velocity. That’s why we’re committed to your success and development, making sure you thrive throughout your Velocity journey.
- Leadership — Our leads provide hands-on leadership, and the entire team is always encouraged and empowered to step up and lead their own projects.
- Development — We invite professionals to organise opportunities (such as public-speaking workshops) that equip you with the transferable skills you need to elevate your career.
- Skills — You’ll get practical experience in sought-after skills, such as graphic design, event management, and web development.
- Networking — Get access to the diverse Velocity community, the broader startup ecosystem, and up-and-coming ventures going through the programme.
- Recognition — Receive credit towards the Co-curricular Recognition Programme. Being on the Velocity team gets you halfway towards a Distinguished Graduate Award!
- Travel — People from the team are selected to travel overseas in order to experience new ideas across the globe. Our team has traveled to places like Silicon Valley, Estonia, South Korea, and more!
You’ll walk away with lifelong skills, new friends, and something impressive to put on your CV!
Start your Velocity journey
Search for Velocity alumni, and you’ll see people who have studied at top universities, founded companies worth 9 digits. People who work to help the poor, who have helped to protect New Zealand from natural disasters, and world leaders in their fields. You too, can become a part of this amazing community.
It’s easy to apply. Get your CV ready and fill out our online form. It only takes a few minutes, so get started now!
Questions? We’re happy to help!
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the time commitment?
It really depends on your role in the team and the time of the year! In general, we expect ordinary team members to put in an average of 5 hours per week, and leads to put in an average of 10 hours per week.
Do I need to be a current student?
You need to be an enrolled University of Auckland student during your time on the committee. So even if you’re not enrolled now, as long as you plan on enrolling for Semester 1, 2024, you’re welcome to apply to our 2024 applications.
I'm not a business student. Can I still apply?
Absolutely! We’re looking for a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences on our team. So no matter your degree, join us to shape the future of entrepreneurship at the university!
Do I need to be based in Auckland?
Yes. The Velocity team runs many in-person events throughout the year, so committee members need to be in Auckland to help out.