Imagine your journey
Shape your career, build connections, and make a real impact at Velocity.
Velocity provides leadership opportunities for the student volunteers who run the programme. Committee members are recognised by industry as being some of the University’s most driven and high-achieving talent. Every year, hundreds of people take part in Velocity —we grow these students into world leaders that solve problems, take initiative, and create value. We’ve been doing this for 17 years, making a positive impact for Auckland, Aotearoa, and the world.
To provide leadership to next year’s participants, Velocity is building a new team to drive our 2021 programme. Students help design it, so you can keep us contemporary. No matter your expertise, faculty, or background, we want you to get involved. Join our whānau in 2021, and become part of something larger than yourself.
What’re our values?
sense of belonging
Velocity is a very close-knit community. We check in with each other, get actively involved with Velocity events, and organise fun social get-togethers.
sharing of information
There’s a place in Velocity for everyone, and everyone is empowered to take up new opportunities, or seek out their own! We build relationships within the team, with other student societies, and with faculty members to support each other.
We’re at our best when we all work together for one goal. Our team has regular meetings, innovation & entrepreneurship ecosystem education, and designated skills workshops.
Find your fit
Our committee is organised into various teams, each focused on a specific component of Velocity, but united by a common purpose. Each team has a lead (or two), who together with the CEO and COO, are responsible for the delivery of a great Velocity programme.
Where could you belong?
- Alumni — Making sure the Velocity community stays in touch
- Challenges — Executing Velocity’s flagship competitions
- Education — Shaping Velocity’s entrepreneurial development opportunities
- Events — Organising creative online and in-person events
- Marketing — Promoting Velocity’s programmes and offerings
- Outreach & Engagement — Broadening and diversifying Velocity’s impact
- Research — Engaging with postgraduates at the university
- Sponsorship — Building relationships with Velocity’s sponsors
What’s your talent?
We’re looking for a wide range of skills and perspectives in our team. You’ll get to make make the most of your strengths, and learn from your fellow committee members. Tell us what your talent is!
We’re here to support you
People are at the centre of all we do at Velocity. That’s why we’re committed to your success and development, making sure you thrive throughout your Velocity journey.
- Leadership — Our leads provide hands-on leadership, and the entire team is always encouraged and empowered to step up and lead their own projects.
- Development — We invite professionals to organise opportunities (such as public-speaking workshops) that equip you with the transferable skills you need to elevate your career.
- Skills — You’ll get practical experience in sought-after skills, such as graphic design, event management, and web development.
- Networking — Get access to the diverse Velocity community, the broader startup ecosystem, and up-and-coming ventures going through the programme.
- Recognition — Receive credit towards the Co-curricular Recognition Programme. Being on the Velocity team gets you halfway towards a Distinguished Graduate Award!
- Travel — People from the team are selected to travel overseas in order to experience new ideas across the globe. Our team has traveled to places like Silicon Valley, Estonia, South Korea, and more!
You’ll walk away with lifelong skills, new friends, and something impressive to put on your CV!
I’ve been involved with innovation and entrepreneurship from high school. When I got the opportunity to join Velocity, it felt really good to take part in something that’s making change happen.
Everyone’s super supportive of what you want to do. If you want to take up a new opportunity, or have a new idea, Velocity is super supportive of that. When I saw that everyone was super friendly and super smiley, it just made me feel really welcome and warm, to the point where I wanted to do the same with others!
Everyone’s super friendly! There’s a lot of cooperation and coordination and helping each other out — it’s like a family.
Start your Velocity journey
Search for Velocity alumni, and you’ll see people who have studied at top universities, founded companies worth 9 digits. People who work to help the poor, who have helped to protect New Zealand from natural disasters, and world leaders in their fields. You too, can become a part of this amazing community.
It’s easy to apply. Get your CV ready and fill out our online form. It only takes a few minutes, so get started now!
Questions? We’re happy to help!
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the time commitment?
It really depends on your role in the team and the time of the year! In general, we expect ordinary team members to put in an average of 5 hours per week, and leads to put in an average of 10 hours per week.
Do I need to be a current student?
You need to be an enrolled University of Auckland student during your time on the committee. So even if you’re not enrolled now, as long as you plan on doing so for Semester 1, 2021 you’re welcome to apply.
I'm not a business student. Can I still apply?
Absolutely! We’re looking for a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences on our team. So no matter your degree, join us to shape the future of entrepreneurship at the university!